Sun International’s “The Table Bay” celebrates 21 Years of making memories
Sun International’s The Table Bay comes of age today (30 May 2018). Celebrating 21 years of creating memories for its guests, The Table Bay enters its new era with the poise and grace that has made it an icon of luxury and refinement, and one of the world’s most respected hotels. Renowned for the warm, authentic South African experience it has promised its guests for over two decades, The Table Bay succeeds in imprinting memories of serendipitous moments that its guests later recall as extraordinary. From the concierge to chefs, to the porter and housekeeper and even behind-the-scene role players, every contact, every touch point, impacts the guest experience.
“When we hear from our guests it almost always emerges that it is the small gestures, the little things we do differently, and the warmness of our staff that define how they experienced their stay with us. We emphasise creating moments that become treasured memories. It is easy to do something special for someone, to treat a guest as though they are family. In this way The Table Bay is remembered and we start to create a history with someone,” says Joanne Selby, General Manager at The Table Bay.
This sophisticated Sun International property is entrenched in South Africa’s legacy, opened by the iconic former South African president, Nelson Mandela, in 1997. Since then has continued to set its own standards in international service and luxury – with a defining local flavour. Its offerings are authentically South African, and unique to its destination.
Set on the historic Victoria & Alfred Waterfront, with the working harbour, Table Mountain and the Atlantic Ocean providing its backdrop, The Table Bay offers convenient proximity to Cape Town’s business centre and dazzling array of tourist attractions. It boasts 329 opulent rooms offering panoramic views of the ocean or waterfront; a world-class spa; five beautiful function venues, and a beautiful pool-deck.
One of South Africa’s most luxurious hotels, with views that are nothing short of breathtaking and an inimitable charm, it is no surprise that The Table Bay hotel has a reputation of being ‘Cape Town’s finest address’. A majestic property it is, but in creating defining moments, The Table Bay sets itself apart.
In acknowledgment of its 21 years, here are 21 experiences that guests savour with The Table Bay:
- At the Table Bay, guests are promised utmost luxury. Wrap up in an Yves St Laurent bath gown after an exhilarating shower.
- Sink into a comfortable bed that is dressed in 400 thread count linen.
- Relax at the Pool Bar on an expansive deck which embodies the ethos of Cape Town’s magnificent social culture. Here, you can enjoy a satisfying drink and snacks while taking in breathtaking views of the ocean, Table Mountain, and the vibrant V&A Waterfront. Our heated mineral pool faces the sun all day.
- Go on a foraging adventure under the guidance of The Table Bay’s chefs. Discover indigenous and wild plants to experiment with in the kitchen.
- Explore the art of winemaking with a renowned, local winemaker, Rikus Neethling, in the surrounds of the exquisite Stellenbosch wine lands.
- Fly over the city of Cape Town in a helicopter (within walking distance).
- Experience the Camelot Universal Signature Massage; a combination of Hot Stone, Kahuna, Balinese and Indian head massage. This massage incorporates the use of our unique frangipani massage candle where the fragrance and softness of your skin lingers in your mind long after you have left the spa. The experience starts off with a Tea Ritual with our signature infusions.
- Nourish your skin and hair with distinctly South African ranges of exquisite bathroom amenities by leading spa and skin care company, Africology, available in guest rooms.
- Sip on The Table Bay’s signature Ruby Martini served in the Union Bar. A meeting place for business people by day, and social gatherings at anytime, this airy space spans 356 square metres. Cozy-up in a quiet corner or socialize at a comfortable table.
- Learn the history of Oscar the Seal. Proudly welcoming guests on their arrival at the Hotel, Oscar’s statue is more than a testament to the Cape Fur Seal who was an integral part of harbour life at the V&A Waterfront. In fact, his story is the stuff of legends and is intertwined with the history of The Table Bay.
- Read the Story of Oscar. The legend of Oscar the Cape Fur Seal, his unlikely friendship with a lonely fisherman and how his golden statue came to take pride of place at The Table Bay has been beautifully told in a book, Oscar!, for children by award winning photographer and publisher, Marc Hoberman.
- Breathe in the scent of The Table Bay’s signature fragrance, KAAP. Produced blending 100% botanicals from the Cape, KAAP captures the essence of The Table Bay in a unique, living fragrance. The range comprises seven custom made products, all of which are expressed in all natural ingredients sourced from the region. The range includes linen spray, room spray, water softener, scented candles, fragrance tiles, hand blown glass reed diffusers and parfum solide, a subtle fragrance that sits close to the skin for infused KAAP luxury.
- Try The Table Bay’s very own, craft beer, produced exclusively by Darling Brewery for the hotel. A fresh, invigorating and thirst quenching wheat ale with a lower alcohol volume than a typical Hefeweizen, it is perfectly suited for South African days and nights, pairing exceptionally well with fish, shellfish dishes, cheeses and fruit.
- Tuck into a selection of homemade biscuits served in an ornate etage with a cup of tea or coffee you order in the Lounge. At The Table Bay, it’s the little things that count!
- Indulge in The Table Bay’s famous High Tea, where sumptuous treats infused with indigenous flavours are served in the lofty open trussed Lounge. Taking high tea might be a centuries-old tradition but few places in South Africa still execute it with the grace, excellence, and nostalgia of the 1800s With arguably one of the most exquisite backdrops for its high tea, The Table Bay has refined the art to the extent that attending high tea there has become a tourist attraction on its own.
- Enjoy unlimited shopping without leaving the hotel. Commission a style savvy personal shopper to do it for you.
- Chocolates on your pillow? No, The Table Bay says good night with an inspired treat by Sally Williams – the world’s finest, handcrafted honey nougat.
- Indulge in what is Cape Town’s most extensive and famous breakfast buffets at The Table Bay’s The beautifully-appointed interior flows seamlessly out onto the open patio where you are greeted with breathtaking, panoramic views across the working harbor, the Atlantic Ocean and Table Mountain.
- Take dinner at The Table Bay’s Camissa Brasserie. The menu encourages the exploration of locally-inspired dishes, and homegrown flavours, that you won’t find elsewhere in the world.
- Savour sweeping views as the sun goes down on Oscar’s Terrace while sipping on specialist cocktails featuring premium brands by Diageo, including Tanqueray no 10, Ketel One Vodka, Bulleit Bourbon, Don Julio Tequila and Ron Zacapa.
- Enjoy a bit of nostalgia, identifying the celebrities on the plaques that trim Oscar’s statue.
Visit the website for more details on The Table Bay